615 Area Code
People search by name, phone, address or email. Browse post history.
The 615 area code is a dialing number that corresponds to Nashville, Tennessee, and 13 surrounding counties, including Rutherford, Williamson, and Sumner County.
As this is the main prefix of Tennessee, the 615 area code possesses great value for the residents, serving public institutions, educational centers, local businesses, and urban suburbs.
The 615 area code is the most used codification of the state, serving over 1.6 million of Tennessee’s 6.8 million residents. However, it isn’t the only prefix functioning in Nashville and its adjacent regions since is overlaid by the 629 area code.
The first code assigned to Tennessee State was the 901 area code, which used to surround the entire Tennessee Territory, being one of the 86 original dialing numbers in the North American Numbering Plan, established in 1947.
Seven years later, on January 1, 1954, the 615 area code was established as the second code in the state, restricting the 901 code to Memphis and the western portion of the region and covering the eastern two-thirds of Tennessee.
AT&T and the Bell System have split the prefix 615 twice since its introduction. The first division was in September 1995, to create the 423 area code, which surrounded the eastern portion of the 615 code. Then, the second split occurred in 1997, with the establishment of the 931 area code, assigned to Middle Tennessee.
On October 21, 2013, the 629 area code began serving as part of an overlay plan for Davidson County and its surrounding regions. At the moment, the prefix 629 is the only overlay for the 615 code, making ten-digit dialing necessary in this zone.
Tennessee lies in the upper South of the eastern United States and is a state geographically defined by its diversity of terrains and landforms. Its territory stretches from the Appalachian Mountain, bordering 8 states including North Carolina to the east, Arkansas to the west, Kentucky to the north, and Georgia to the south.
Constituted for 95 counties, Tennessee is the 36th largest by area and the 16th most populous state of the country, whit an estimated population of 6,829 million inhabitants. The city-state capital is Nashville, which stands out as the largest city too.
Located in the Central Daylight Time Zone, the 615 area code contains 136 non-unique postal area zip codes and covers 5481.78 square miles.
Tennessee’s telephone network disposes of seven area codes. As we explained before, the original dialing code assigned to the state was the number 901, which currently covers almost all of Middle Tennessee except for the Nashville Metropolitan Area.
The most recent prefix added is the 629 area code. It started running in the fourth quarter of 2013, serving the same area as the 615.
Another important codification is the prefix 825, which surrounds the municipalities of Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and Maryville. This number is split from the 423 area code and remains the only prefix working in this area.
This prefix also covers regions near the 540 area code in Virginia and the 770 area code in Georgia.
3. Most Important Cities in the 615 Area Code
Founded in 1779, and incorporated in 1806, Nashville is the capital and most populated city in Tennessee with around 692k inhabitants.
Located on the Cumberland River in the north-central part of the state, this city is the county seat of Davidson County and the center of an urbanized area that encloses parts of seven adjacent counties. Moreover, Nashville owns the largest metropolitan area of the state encompassing 14 of 41 Middle Tennessee counties.
The entertainment and music industry are some of the most relevant economic sectors of Nashville. Famous for its numerous universities, collogues, and educational centers, this city is referred to by residents as the "Athens of the South".
By being the capital, Nashville plays an important role in the telecommunication system and the postal service of the state, covering 39 non-unique ZIP codes.
Located in Central Tennessee, on the West Fork Stones River about 30 miles southeast of Nashville, Murfreesboro is the main city and the county seat of Rutherford County.
With a population of around 136k residents, Murfreesboro is the second-most populous city in the coverage radius of the 615 area code. This city represents a symbol for Tennessee, considering that it used to be the city-state capital from 1818 to 1826.
Covered by the 615 area code and its overlay the prefix 629, Murfreesboro possesses 7 non-unique ZIP codes: 37127, 37128, 37129, 37130, 37131, 37132, and 37133.
4. Other Important Locations and ZIP Codes of the 615 Area Code
The 615 area code is the most populous prefix in Tennessee covering 14 counties, including:
- Davidson County: located in the heart of Middle Tennessee, Davidson is the most populous county in the state, encompassing over 694k residents. Its largest city and county set is Nashville and possesses 49 non-unique ZIP codes.
- Rutherford County: with a population estimated at 332k residents, Rutherford is the fifth-most populous county in Tennessee. Included in the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area; this county owns 16 non-unique ZIP codes.
- Williamson County: settled on October 26, 1799, this location is home to the city of Franklin, which is also its county seat. Enclosing a total area of 584 square miles Williamson disposes of 13 non-unique ZIP codes.
- Sumner County: situated on the central northern border of Tennessee, this county has a population of around 191k inhabitants. Founded in November 1786, Sumner owns 9 non-unique ZIP codes.
- Wilson County: Created on October 26, 1799, Wilson encompasses over 144k inhabitants. Located in Middle Tennessee its largest municipality is Mt. Juliet and the county seat the city of Lebanon. Besides, this county possesses 8 non-unique ZIP codes.
Main Postal and Shipping Services
- US Post Office, Nashville, TN, - +1 615-741-7004
- Bellevue Post Office, Nashville, TN, - +1 615-673-1892
- Brentwood Post Office, Nashville, TN, +1 615-377-3516
- Postal Plus Shipping and More, Murfreesboro, TN, - +1 615-410-3250
What is the most used area code in Tennessee?
The most used area code in Tennessee is the prefix 615 with over 1.6 million users
How many area codes are there in Nashville?
There are two area codes in Nashville, the main prefix 615 and the overlay 629.